Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Sapsucker Slam?!

Or is it? You be the judge. :p

Didn't know it was even further than Hansen Dam.

Anyhow, arrived safely, and set to work.

Target species were of course those Sapsuckers; Red-naped, Red-breasted, Williamson's, and Yellow-bellied. Except for Williamson's, those are all quite confusing, to put it mildly.

Maybe I was lucky; most of the time just stumbled upon it, those being pretty conspicuous on the trunk of pines and such. Even Yellow-bellied, was at the mentioned spot, east of women's side of restroom 1(had real trouble finding this restroom; it's on the southwestern edge of the park), resting on the trunk of the Euc.

After finally spotting it, again tried to spot Williamson's. Not sure I spotted a female one, on a pine SW of the row of pines north of the playground(initial sightings at ebird). It flew to the west after being 'showered' by my intense attention lol(EDIT; I think it was another Red-breasted).

Next of course the more conspicuous male(being mostly black, definitely stands out. Sexual dimorphism is especially pronounced on this species); wasn't on the row of pines, then met a birder who just arrived. Told him I was by now too hungry and going to quit lol; and on the way back to the car, just SE to the pine row, I spotted it! Beckoned him and we watched and took photos of it in awe! :)

You check it out;

Red-breasted Sapsucker


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker







Red-breasted Sapsucker






male Williamson's Sapsucker





EDIT; After careful consideration, I think I missed a Red-naped Sapsucker. Don't think I spotted a female Williamson's either.

Curiously couldn't spot any Acorn Woodpecker. No. Flicker was easily spotted, as usual.

So, after this successful birding, need I again participate on Pasadena Audubon Field Trip this Sunday? I even spotted a White-breasted Nuthatch high on a pine tree. Mountain Chickadee, already spotted twice elsewhere. That leaves those elusive Plumbeous Vireo and Gray Flycatcher. Hmmm...

No comments: