Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Where to scope once my scope arrives

Naturally, this place;

http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L5570334

Rio Hondo Spreading Grounds, along with the nearby San Gabriel Coastal Basin Spreading Grounds, is now a premier site for spotting rare gulls in ALL of U.S.

Expert birders like Jon Dunn, John Garrett, Darren Dowell, Luke Tiller, Andrew Lee etc. spotted Iceland Gull, Slaty-backed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull and Yellow-footed Gull there, THIS WINTER/YEAR. Literally, every birder's dream species lol. Kelp Gull was spotted...was it last year?

I've mentioned that I spotted a putative Iceland Gull there last February. Even Kimball Garrett and Curtis Marantz conceded that it could be the one; really too bad I don't have a better camera or that I wasn't accompanied by a more expert birder.

So, hoping to spot those gulls(Yellow-footed I finally spotted it elsewhere, along the LA River)! Wish me luck.

Other good places are La Jolla Cove, Pt. Vicente, etc.
Pasadena Audubon also has Malibu Seawatch next month at Leo Carrillo State Beach led by Jon Feenstra, so naturally will participate as well. Will be also useful at Antelope Valley(I need to spot Mountain Plover again)/Piute Pond.

No comments: