Search This Blog

Monday, July 31, 2017

Birding strategy for the remainder of the year

So, how to get further 8 new species this year. Already Autumn, so if I miss some migrants/vagrants, much harder to attain the goal come Winter.

Montane species first; Dusky Flycatcher, Cassin's Sparrow, Clark's Nutcracker, Red Crossbill, Pygmy Nuthatch, Hermit Warbler. I'm counting on you, 'Master' Darren! He'll lead us Pasadena Audubon members on he 12th, at Angeles NF.
Barn and Western Screech-Owl, Common Poorwill at night.

Pelagic species such as Pink-footed Shearwater, Parasitic and Pomarine Jaeger,  Storm-Petrels, etc.

Some marsh birds, such as Least Bittern, American Bittern, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.

Shorebirds such as Solitary Sandpiper and Baird's Sandpiper.

Far-away birds like Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Bronzed Cowbird, Laughing Gull, Wood Stork, Boobies, Frigatebird(mostly at Salton Sea area).

Common Nighthawk at SD area again? Thick-billed Kingbird as well(Poggie Greenbelt area)

American Dipper, will try to find it during this tournament.

SE Arizona is a place to be this time of year, but too far I'm afraid(will 'haul' 10 species or more easily, if I go there, starting from Hummers).

Naturally? I wonder if I can spot 400 species a year lol. If I were to attempt it, I need to bird East again. Because you can't spot that number in LA. Mark Scheel came closest last year spotting record? 371 species, but that's really tough.
Shorebirds(including gulls), and some warblers. So..Cape May? NJ and DC shore area? For warblers, Midwest(Magee Marsh)?

No comments: